Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Applesauce for Doggies

A few weeks ago, we went apple picking and brought home a whole lotta apples. To use up some more of our supply, I decided to make some applesauce for Chewy. It was pretty simple- the most intensive part was peeling all the apples.

I used 6 large assorted apples (I have no idea what varieties they were) and ended up with 4 pint-sized jars of applesauce. You might want to work on a much smaller scale. Also, keep in mind that sweeter apples yield sweeter applesauce.

First, wash, peel, core and slice your apples. Apple seeds are toxic for dogs, so be sure to remove all of them. Some people simply cut their apples into quarters or eighths, but I figured it would be easier to stir smaller chunks. You can also use one of those apple corer/slicer gadgets to lesson the labor.

My selection of apples- peeled, cored, and chunked

Throw your apple slices/chunks into a pot, and add about an inch of water and some lemon juice (optional- it keeps the apples from going brown). Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil, then simmer with the lid on until the apples get mushy, about 30 min. Add cinnamon to taste at any point during cooking. I chose to add it towards the end so I could see what it looked like mixed in.


Add cinnamon as desired

Once the apples are soft and cooked through, remove from heat. Use a potato masher/fork to work it into a chunky applesauce, or use a blender/food processor to puree it.

Applesauce post-blender
You can then choose the canning route so your applesauce keeps longer, or simply store it in a jar in the fridge.

Once the applesauce has cooled, you can give your doggy a taste! It can be used as a topping for kibble, in treats, or eaten plain. Remember to serve in moderation.

I'm here for a sample!







4 comments:

  1. Yum!! Applesauce!! Enjoy...What a tasty treat, made with love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a sweet treat on top of dry food. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good! We have some apples sitting on the counter....hmmm...maybe I can convince the humans to make something for me! Your bowl is empty, looks like there's room for more! :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also freeze applesauce, and that works well too. I've never made it for the dogs but was planning on making some tomorrow, so I think I'll set some aside without sugar for them!

    ReplyDelete